Last Updated: September 2022.
Hello friends, I'm Ray!
I was born in 2000. The next 16 years were somewhat of a blur because my family was very poor so we couldn't afford to do much or go anywhere. During that time, I focused on studying hard to get into the best school I could.
I was lucky enough to go to Cambridge in 2019. I graduated in 2022 with a Bachelors in Physics. Despite half of it being ruined because of COVID-19, it was incredible! I met so many wonderful people, engaged in many new communities (particularly Effective Altruism Cambridge) for the first time, and got involved in many awesome projects (from interning for Ali Abdaal to being the Head of Logistics for a party for over 3,000 attendees).
Now, I'm focusing on improving the world as much as possible. On my website, you can find what I'm working on and my thoughts on various things.
About This Blog
This blog mostly captures my ideas and thoughts in the middle of updates. I consider an update to be any small change in my certainty that something is true.
What I'm Working On Now
I'm currently founding a global nonprofit to find and support exceptional students from low-and-middle-income countries.
What I've Worked On Before
You can see most of this on my LinkedIn.
- 💡 I'm very involved in Effective Altruism and am always trying to optimise my life to have an enormous positive impact on the world.
- 🧠 I really like coming up with models to understand the world better and make decisions. I tend to find a lot of rationality-adjacent ideas interesting. If you'd like to learn more, I recommend reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality as a good introduction to rationality.
- ☁️ I love flying drones and am working to become a professional FPV drone pilot. My drone videos on YouTube are Taking a Drone on a Honeymoon and Flying Through Giga Berlin.
- 📝 I'm very solutions-oriented and tend to take on projects with the aim of fixing them, which leads to me stretching myself pretty thin.
- 🧠 I think and brainstorm out loud and have a low barrier for saying something, which can lead me to say many somewhat irrelevant things. Although, I'm inspired by the saying, "there are no stupid questions, just questions with different degrees of relevance".
- 🌳 I tend to get side-tracked in conversations with other ideas that come to mind at the moment and then repeat myself when returning to the main thread.
- 💬 I can be more direct than most of the general public (although this depends on which country you're from.). Read about Ask and Guess Culture for more.
Get In Touch
The easiest way to get in touch with me is through my Instagram or by emailing me at r [at] rayamjad.com
I check my Instagram DM's regularly, but if a message requires a long reply, I usually reply when commuting. I travel quite spontaneously, so I'm not sure when this is.